Jack Rogers Plans Huge Expansion

Hello-Hello everyone!

We start with news about a favored brand that is expanding their product offerings. Serious expansion. We’re talking about Jack Rogers, makers of the ubiquitous Navajo sandal seen below.

PHOTO: Thomas Iannaccone/WWD

For those not familiar with the footwear, here is a brief explainer from this story in WWD:

“In resort towns like East Hampton and Nantucket, the Jack Rogers Navajo sandal has for decades been as much a part of the scene as tennis skirts and tunics. In the Sixties, the sandal was popularized by Jackie Kennedy.”

Those paying close attention to that photo probably already noticed something else: the new Jack Rogers slim ballet flat. Below we see another version of their new flat.

PHOTO: Thomas Iannaccone/WWD

But new footwear isn’t the only thing on the drawing board for the company.  This story from Women’s Wear Daily (subscription req’d.) offers more information about plans for the Jack Rogers brand:

“…sportswear, dresses, handbags, shoes, boots and a wider selection of sandals, and the first Jack Rogers retail stores, for the upcoming resort and spring seasons.”

The new merchandise will be available at Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, along with 400 independent boutiques already selling the brand; the plan is to expand this footprint to include:

“…Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman and other stores. Trousers, priced at retail at $170; cotton sundresses, $168 to $200; woven dress shirts, $148, and closed-toe shoes, generally $129 to $189, are among the items being offered. There will be also be some handmade, detailed ballet flats and items in more expensive skins, priced at $225. Shorts, T-shirts, purses, totes, clutches, jelly sandals, driving shoes, boots and moccasins are also being designed.”

On a personal level this is splendid news. But from a business perspective we are reminded of many recent brand extensions that have not fared well, many with disastrous results. The failed Ruehl stores Abercrombie opened so quickly come to mind, as do the continuing rumors that Crocs, following explosive growth, could soon file bankruptcy. Even smaller efforts like the Oilily expansion into the US was not successful.

However, there are several executives at Jack Rogers who possess solid resumes with experience at firms like Polo Ralph Lauren, Gap and Tory Burch. This leads us to hope that the broad brand extensions of the kind detailed above prove to be the exception, rather than the rule.  When we see the word ‘jelly sandals’ included in the new product line we cringe more than just a little.

Wondering where the new Jack Rogers stores might be going…?

“…. the first expected to open around February 2010 in Manhattan, followed by units in the Hamptons, and Palm Beach or Bal Harbour, Fla.”

We know quite a few folks who will be pleased with this news. Are you excited by the news? And thoughts on Jack Rogers Jellies?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We close with a fun tidbit we saw on British Vogue’s site, news that Christian Louboutin has teamed up with Ladurée, the famed French macaroon and pastry house.

Courtesy Ladurée via Vogue UK

The luxury shoe designer has created special boxes for all those delicious goodies, they will be available in the UK this September, no word yet on the possibility of anyone on this side of the pond being able to purchase the designs.

23 Comments on Jack Rogers Plans Huge Expansion

1. The Pink Tutu
    July 30, 2009 at 6:42 pm (5 years ago)

How very interesting about the Jack Rogers expansion! It sounds like they have big goals to achieve and I’ll be interested to see what’s in their new line. I myself am not fond of the jelly style for this particular shoe.

2. Spanish Preppy Girl
    July 30, 2009 at 7:07 pm (5 years ago)

Jack Rogers falts are so cute! Their colour is perfect for spring and summertime!!

3. Gracie Beth
    July 30, 2009 at 7:28 pm (5 years ago)

I love those flats! However for my sandals I am loyal to Stephen Bonanno.

4. Christina
    July 30, 2009 at 8:21 pm (5 years ago)

Love the ballet flats. So cute.

5. sCe
    July 31, 2009 at 12:06 am (5 years ago)

I am SO excited for JR to come out with an entire line! How exciting, those flats you have pictured are adorable!

6. Mrs. Newlywed
    July 30, 2009 at 6:29 pm (5 years ago)

Jack Rogers clothes?

Ummm…interesting.

7. miss janice
    July 30, 2009 at 6:30 pm (5 years ago)

The ballet flats are darling…I want some, NOW! This is exciting and I look forward to the release of their new products. I just hope I like ‘em! Thanks for the information.

8. Hopsy
    July 30, 2009 at 6:57 pm (5 years ago)

I am SO excited about BOTH these ventures! Now, if only father was stopping in Paris or London on his way back to the US so he could pick up a box for me!

9. QueenBeeSwain
    July 30, 2009 at 7:25 pm (5 years ago)

I am a Bonanno girl through and through, however, I am going to get out a paper bag and breathe into it after reading this news clip. I dislike that *failure* is what came to mind too when I read it, but with past trends with other brands, one cannot help but have that seed planted in the back of their mind.

Thinking big sparklies, because after all, at the end of the day JRs are part of the preppy fabric.

xoox

kHm

10. lipstickatthemailbox
    July 31, 2009 at 2:52 am (5 years ago)

I really love those Jack Rogers ballet flats!!!

11. Family Life
    July 30, 2009 at 8:20 pm (5 years ago)

I LOVE the ballet flats, I’m SO Super excited about this expanision!

12. Miss Madras
    July 30, 2009 at 8:22 pm (5 years ago)

It will be interesting to see how the expansion pans out. Hopefully it will be a success for them.

13. Preppy 101
    July 30, 2009 at 10:06 pm (5 years ago)

The flats are too cute. Not sure how I feel about the clothing ;-) xoxo

14. Sher
    July 31, 2009 at 12:57 am (5 years ago)

I don’t like jellies. I bought a pair a long time ago and they cut into my skin, made me sweat, which made me slip out of them. LOL cheap cheap cheap

15. Anonymous
    July 31, 2009 at 12:44 pm (5 years ago)

i am very interested in following this shoe expansion. i have a dredfully narrow foot and heel … i hope they aren’t too wide!

16. Brunch at Saks
    July 31, 2009 at 4:14 pm (5 years ago)

Just found your blog through Preppy Sue and I love it! These flats and shoes are all SO cute! Hope you have a great weekend :) XO

17. Petunia
    July 31, 2009 at 5:29 pm (5 years ago)

Oh dear, this sounds like a bad idea all around. Expansion in the midst of a recession? Yikes.

18. Nellie
    July 31, 2009 at 6:05 pm (5 years ago)

Please do some research!
    I am a Bonanno girl was well, and I stand by my shoe :)
    Stephen Bonanno actually designed the sandal for Jackie O., and she wore BONANNOS, not Jack Rogers!
    It’s simply dreadful how out-of-control this has gotten–Bonannos are the original, and you’ll hear about their comfort and quality from true preppies who have been around long enough to remember when JRs started popping up imitating our beloved Bonannos.

19. AEOT
    July 31, 2009 at 7:49 pm (5 years ago)

I’m a Bonanno girl myself, and I hate to say it, but even luxury brands should truly think about expanding during a recession. The flats are cute at first glance, but they wouldn’t work here in Chicago during the winter AT ALL, and I’m way more likely to slip on sandals during the summer months than flats (and these don’t look all that work appropriate). I’d take a pair of TB flats anyday. I do hope it works out for them though. I hate to see anyone fail!

20. Star Spangled Preppy
    July 31, 2009 at 9:07 pm (5 years ago)

This is FABULOUS news! Can’t wait to see the new products. Thanks for the update!

21. Little Bow Prep
    August 7, 2009 at 1:02 am (5 years ago)

Jack Rogers are so cute!

22. Auntie Mame
    October 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm (5 years ago)

Jack Rogers are the authentic Navajo sandals made fashionable and famous by Jacqueline Kennedy. All the historical research supports this with news clippings, photographs, books published on her style, and, best of all, it’s in the archives of the Kennedy Museum & Library! So for those wanting the real thing – Jack Rogers is it!

23. Eliz
    September 1, 2010 at 11:07 pm (4 years ago)

Having worn both, I have to say that, truthfully, I could care less whose sandals Jackie O wore. I think it is safe to say that both Stephen Bonanno Sandals and Jack Rogers have been around the block a time or two…the questions is which sandals look and feel better to wear? While JR has spent a lot of money marketing, for the same price point, SBS hands down gets the quality and comfort award. Once you wear a pair of SBS you will never look back!!