That Nasty NYC Prep, & Lilly Pulitzer Pre-Ordering!

Hello-Hello!

How was everyone’s holiday weekend? Anyone else recovering this morning from a tad too much fun or sun? The Consort managed to fit in a late-breaking round of golf yesterday and TP is ever-so-excited to report she has finally seen Pride and Prejudice, 2005′s theatrical version. Digital bliss, truly.

As frequent readers are painfully aware, we are consistently inconsistent when it comes to reporting on all most things prep. We do focus on TV’s faux-prep program Gossip Girl with some regularity (despite its Fantasy Island qualities), in large part because of the fashions worn by the stars, both on-camera and off.

We have also chatted up newcomer NYC Prep. Recognizing that certain broadcasts require a certain suspension of disbelief, we still find ourselves becoming ever-more astonished when reading about the “reality show.”

PHOTO: Brian McDermott/Bravo

Having stumbled onto this recent story in the Times we thought to share a few morsels; they describe our reasons for scoffing at the term ‘reality show’ far more eloquently than we can:

“Only two episodes in, the show has set off a wave of outrage, contempt and sheer mortification among parents in the world of private schools in New York…”

Who’s Afraid of ‘NYC Prep’? aptly explains a fundamental precept that Princess readers are already familiar with:

“…contradicted an unspoken rule at many private schools: to be showy or prideful is not only culturally inappropriate, but also in supremely bad taste. To be showy or prideful on reality television appears to be even worse.”

Perhaps our favorite part of Julie Bosman’s story is the top:

“OH, God,” said one Nightingale-Bamford parent, groaning.

“Absolute garbage,” another said.

“Like a bad ‘Dynasty’ episode,” a third said…”

There you have it.

Also discussing the show this week, New York magazine, pairing it with The Real Housewives of New York City for a story by Vanessa Grigoriadis, The NYC Reality Freak Show:

“In NYC Prep, as in many low-culture products, the emerging picture of Manhattan is an upper-class farce.”

“The first episode, which attracted over a million viewers, sells it as a high-stakes drama about the “elite of the elite,”… but really it’s a comedy about the silliness of the rich. As you may or may not know, it’s deeply uncool, as a student at a New York private school, to be a fan of Gossip Girl—it’s too outsized, too camp, for kids who are living that life to enjoy.”

The marketing minds at Bravo must be overjoyed at the coverage and buzz surrounding NYC Prep.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All of that makes for fun reading, but it does detract from our main message of the day: Pre-ordering for the Lilly Pulitzer Fall Stationery and Gifts Collection is now available!

Lilly Pulitzer Circle Notes

Ideal as a gift anytime of the year, we love the new patterns for the Circle Notes, perfectly packaged and adorned with a grosgrain ribbon bow. (And you know how silly we are for anything with a bow!)

Pocket Lilly Pads, the mini-notebooks with their own pencils are now just $6.50!

Lilly Pulitzer Pocket Lilly Pads

The Magnet Boards come with six coordinating magnets, and at $18.50 are an outstanding value!

A definite for us come Christmas will be the Imprintable Boxed Holiday Cards:

Lilly Pulitzer Boxed Holiday/Christmas Cards

We love the vibrancy of the colors so much we’ll make this item our Pretty in Pink for today.

And while these are located in our ‘Holiday‘ category at the Princess, the Taboo Imprintable cards are such a delightful pink and green it is obvious they’ll work any time of the year.

Lilly Pulitzer Taboo Cards

There are several other patterns of imprintable cards available.

We expect to start shipping pre-orders the third week of July. Before moving on we must take a moment to say a very public “Thank You” to the always-on-top-of-things and beyond-wonderful Ashley at Lifeguard Press, the Lilly Stationery Mother Ship.  Miss Ashley, without your assistance and guidance we would be helpless.

One last note, Lilly is retiring some of the patterns used in goods from this Spring’s launch.  Look for the word “Classic” in our Lilly titles; when those Classic products are sold out they will no longer be available.  If so inclined, it may be wise to pick up your favorites before they are merely fond memories!

Grins and giggles until next time!

21 Comments on That Nasty NYC Prep, & Lilly Pulitzer Pre-Ordering!

1. sCe
    July 6, 2009 at 5:55 pm (5 years ago)

I’m loving the Lilly Christmas cards! NYC Prep is so terrible, I get embarrased for them when watching! But i just can’t look away, I DVR every episode!

2. Little Bow Prep
    July 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm (5 years ago)

Cute Lilly!

I’m not much of a fan of NYC Prep.

3. Legallyblondemel
    July 6, 2009 at 8:38 pm (5 years ago)

Careful, or I’ll try to engage you in a geeky “Pride & Prejudice” debate of the 2005 movie vs. the 1995 BBC series (the latter of which I think is the far superior one). ;-)

Would you believe that “NYC Prep” is even below my own shameful reality TV standards? I find it astounding that anyone’s parents would let them on such a show.

On a happier note, those holiday cards are fetching. Nice pick for the store!

4. La Belette Rouge
    July 6, 2009 at 11:28 pm (5 years ago)

I am starting to feel like I have missed something. Hmmm…is Gossip Girl on DVD yet?

5. preppy player
    July 7, 2009 at 12:26 am (5 years ago)

We all agree that NYprep is awful, but especially the parents of these pretentious, spoiled brats! Who would allow their children to be exploited in such a way? ( or better yet, revealed in such a way)

Your Lily presentation is superb! You really have a way with marketing :)
    Are you attending the Atlanta or NYC gift show this summer?

6. The Pink Tutu
    July 7, 2009 at 2:08 am (5 years ago)

I’m so excited about these new products!

7. GingerSnap
    July 7, 2009 at 2:23 am (5 years ago)

Even though NYCPrep is bad news, I can’t help but be drawn in by it. I know I’m bad! But there is something that is so funny and a guilty indulgence that I cannot help but be slightly captivated…that is until GG returns :)

8. Mrs. Newlywed
    July 6, 2009 at 7:57 pm (5 years ago)

I am relieved we do not get Bravo. Just the reviews on the NYC Prep show have me concerned!

9. Lisa@verybusymomwith4
    July 7, 2009 at 3:12 am (5 years ago)

I watched less than 10 minutes of NYC Prep and had to turn it off–I have never met such stuck up people! Give private school kids a bad name.

I love all the Lily stuff as always!

10. Callie
    July 6, 2009 at 8:17 pm (5 years ago)

you know, it kind of makes sense that you don’t want the backwards, tv version of your life. at my military-base high school, the kids from the East Coast watched “The OC” and the kids from the West Coast watched the eastern-based “One Tree Hill”. but seriously, I’m so over reality TV.

11. mary anne
    July 7, 2009 at 4:46 am (5 years ago)

Aurrgh! Ms. TPP you are an evil, evil woman! I have only just begun. . . . .

12. Kate
    July 7, 2009 at 6:31 am (5 years ago)

That one scene in Price and Prejudice (during which the bewitching line is said) is so romantic!

NYC Prep is so bad. It is almost funny how awful it is. We need better summer TV!

13. preppyinnewengland
    July 7, 2009 at 3:57 am (5 years ago)

I’m going to have to agree that the BBC series is really worth watching. I think you will like it, but then again, I love BBC programs!
    Love the Lilly collection!

14. Clare Brown
    July 7, 2009 at 2:07 pm (5 years ago)

Ahh I am so hooked to those wretched reality shows. Though I haven’t seen NYC prep, I have only heard terrible things about it. Which can only make me think that I would be totally addicted to its terribleness. Ha!

Oh and LOVE that Lilly stuff. So good to see some Lilly, I have been starved of Lilly since I moved to NYC.
    Cheers,
    Clare

15. QueenBeeSwain
    July 7, 2009 at 10:22 am (5 years ago)

thank you for the heads up on the shipping/classic retirement! will have to take another look now!

kHm

16. Prep Rep
    July 7, 2009 at 5:51 pm (5 years ago)

I’m sure a few of those involved in the show (NYC Prep) are beginning to become very embarassed. On the New York Magazine website there is an article describing the “New York Reality Freak Show.” Not good press if you ask me…
    Sounds like you had a great 4th!
    -PR

17. Jules
    July 7, 2009 at 7:13 pm (5 years ago)

Hello and thank you for all of the sweet comments on my blog! I simply love your blog. I’ve been watching NYC Prep, but I don’t find it that exciting. It just seems like a bunch of spoiled rich kids to me.

I am excited about all of the new Lilly products. I have some circle notes on my desk at work and they always make me smile.

18. The Blushing Hostess
    July 7, 2009 at 2:45 pm (5 years ago)

Hmmmm. Those giraffe cards sure are pretty. I may end up eating my words about the stationery line, huh?

19. Jen
    July 8, 2009 at 11:44 am (5 years ago)

I may have to start watching this show. The pure entertainment value sounds priceless. Love the Lilly stuff. Will get on line today to pick out my belt among other things.

20. Miss B
    July 8, 2009 at 7:30 pm (5 years ago)

These poor children have already ruined themselves. I wonder if they will make reality television their full time jobs like Heidi and Spencer (they won’t seem to go away). So sad.

21. KK
    July 10, 2009 at 5:01 pm (5 years ago)

You know how I feel about NYC prep- ick! What gets me is the way they refer to “private school” all the time. I went to really incredible private schools and never once growing up did I tell anyone I went to “private” school. And I am still good friends with lots of people who went to public schools. Maybe it was my city but it just never mattered where we all went to school when it came to friendships.