NYC Prep, Tory Burch

Hello-Hello everyone, we are *so* excited here at the Prepatorium, it is truly luscious outside! We hope all our cherished readers are enjoying similar sunshiny circumstances wherever they may be spending the day!

We have previously mentioned the upcoming preppish docu-drama, NYC Prep.  The show is likely to be a competitor for Gossip Girl fans, most readers are aware that show focuses on students at a fictional school.

Courtesy Bravotv.com

NYC Prep premieres June 23, but Bravo aired a preview last week. In case you missed the preview but would still like to see it, here is a link; it is available online.

It shall be intriguing to watch the fashions worn by the students; below, Sebastian Oppenheim. According to the show’s brief online bio, his mother cuts his hair, demonstrating the prep frugality to which we are all accustomed.

Courtesy BravoTV.com

The show’s official website doesn’t provide the identities of the schools attended by the show’s participants, not will Bravo acknowledge or verify the schools. However, their identities and locales are commonly known and have been for some time.

Mr. Oppenheim is a sophomore at the Ross School in East Hampton. This is not an old guard school (not at all, it is fairly new), nor is it in the city, but as far as we know it is one of the only (if not the only) private school in the Hamptons.

The other male student in the show is Peter “PC” Peterson.

Courtesy BravoTV.com

Next, 15-year-old Taylor DiGiovanni:

Courtesy BravoTV.com

Miss DiGiovanni goes to Stuyvesant, not considered a ‘prep school’ as far as we know, but perhaps we’re just not as plugged in to things as much as we used to be. Other schools attended by students seen in the show include Birch-Wathen-Lenox and Nightingale-Bamford. (The latter being the school Gossip Girl is hypothetically based on.)

In a post about the two different shows (G2 & NYC) on the WSJ’s Speakeasy pages, a Chapin alum explains that the show:

“…misses the whole point of the East Coast attitude towards money, which is that you don’t show it, you don’t talk about it.  Living in LA now, I really see that contrast, and it’s huge.”

Exactly.

Ever-so-fun Preppy Handbook author Lisa Birnbach shares her thoughts on the ‘reality show’ in that same Journal post:

““The big hoax is the talent pool for this—no actual preppy kid would ever go to a casting call for something like this or want to be on a show like this at all—they present it as though all the people who go to these schools are from a certain world, and they’re not.””

Thank you. It makes our point perfectly.

Many Princess readers know the show is a fraud if the majority of students at these educational establishments are presented as being publicity-hungry like the teens in the show. Honestly, weren’t we were all taught the same mantra?

There are only three times a Lady’s name should be in the newspaper – upon the announcement of her birth, when she is married, and when she dies.

In these times, the practice is modified to accommodate some charitable and professional accomplishments, but honestly, discussing one’s financial situation, or being in an environment where it is a topic of discussion simply isn’t done.

Perhaps the biggest point of confusion for TP is probably going to be addressed in the actual show; this presumes we can bring ourselves to watch. But really, where are the teens’ parents? What are they thinking by allowing their children to participate in this?

That is all. For now.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

For those interested in the goings-on at upper crust schools like those discussed above, this story about Miss Porter’s in the current issue of Vanity Fair is for you.

PHOTOS: Jonathan Becker/Vanity Fair

The lengthy article looks at legal action against the school initiated by the parents of a former student; a student who admits cheating on a test.  We shall keep our opinions to ourself here, invoking the “if you haven’t anything nice to say” maxim.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

A reminder about the Tory Burch sale currently underway at invite-only shopping site Rue La La.  The sale ends June 17 at 11am; if you need an invite, just send us a quick email note.  One caution: the site was down at different times today; it seems functional now, but be prepared.

Speaking of Tory Burch, we have a few looks from her Resort 2010 show last week:

PHOTO: Thomas Iannaccone via WWD

We’re lukewarm.

PHOTO: Thomas Iannaccone/WWD

Underwhelmed best describes our reaction.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

That does it for us today dolls, we are a bit under the gun this week with a heavy volunteer schedule and a trip to see The Queen Mother at her Palace, how fun!

14 Comments on NYC Prep, Tory Burch

1. ms. mindless
    June 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm (5 years ago)

thanks for keeping us up to date as usual on all things prep! even though the nyc prep show is going to be so faux prep, but i will probably still watch it!

2. kepster
    June 16, 2009 at 1:21 am (5 years ago)

Stuyvesant is a top public school in NYC, and as such is quite prestigious. I agree with your views on the show, but since it’s summer and there’s not much on I will probably watch as a guilty pleasure.

3. Blond Duck
    June 15, 2009 at 9:28 pm (5 years ago)

There is no class on reality shows. I agree completely with both of the articles that mentioned the discussion/showing of money and attitude of that society.

4. Kathy
    June 16, 2009 at 6:21 am (5 years ago)

I wish I could get Bravo here sounds like a summer series I’d watch. But I’m starved for TV so that doesn’t say much. Have a wonderful day.

5. LPC
    June 16, 2009 at 1:08 pm (5 years ago)

Not the done thing. At all.

6. Preppy 101
    June 16, 2009 at 6:32 am (5 years ago)

As always, I so enjoy your post! I couldn’t find a place to rate my latest purchases, but everything gets 5 stars from me!! ESPECIALLY YOUR SERVICE!! xoxo

7. Barefoot in the Park
    June 16, 2009 at 1:47 pm (5 years ago)

so very true! i wondered as well, “what parent would let your child do this?” can’t be a true prep!

8. Legallyblondemel
    June 16, 2009 at 3:07 pm (5 years ago)

That has always struck me as the absurd thing about this “reality prep”, “GG” phenomenon – there is absolutely no way the demographic I know would ever sign up for such a thing, not even the watered down Southern California set with which I’m familiar.

Related side note: I went to school with a Miss Porter’s graduate. She was one of the most down-to-earth, if foul mouthed, women I’ve ever met. You wouldn’t have caught her in a label or bragging about her school or family, put it that way.

Not impressed with the TB selections on Rue or most of the Resort line, sadly. All the better for the trust fund, I suppose.

PS – Just ordered my Preppy Princess flip-flops last night; the temps are set to hit 100 here this week, so I’m eagerly awaiting my summer footwear arrival!

9. Gracie Beth
    June 16, 2009 at 4:16 pm (5 years ago)

I am glad I did not tune into that show because I thought it looked interesting. I am glad I forgot to watch.

10. The Pink Tutu
    June 16, 2009 at 6:22 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for the inside scoop! I am curious to see how the show will unfold. Good luck with your volunteering schedule this week. I would love to hear about some of the things you do sometime.

11. Needs Help
    June 16, 2009 at 6:29 pm (5 years ago)

I have been absolutely appalled/ intrigued by this NYC Prep show. I think its disgusting, but somehow I know I will probably watch it. As a prep who recieved an all girls private education from pre-kindergarten through the 12th grades, I’ve always been fascinated by east coast prep schools. I like to think the school I graduated from is the best in my town (although alums of our rival would disagree) and I would seriously reconsider giving to my school’s annual fund if a student were to participate in something like this. Its funny though, my sweet Granny attended the same school I did before going on to spend her senior year at Spence in NYC. When I started at my school, she would always say it wasn’t the same, and they were letting anyone in those days. Things have drastically changed (but I think for the better) since I left. I firmly believe that girls should be admitted to my alma mater on their ability to thrive and flourish there not their “old money” but at the same times its just shocking the bad attention “new money” can bring to an old establishment!!

12. QueenBeeSwain
    June 16, 2009 at 1:54 pm (5 years ago)

hi hi!

I read that article at the *office* a few days ago, I appreciate that it must be a highly-stressful environment, but that is no excuse for why one would be *lead to cheat.* I was frustrated with the young lady at hand.

kHm

13. Miss B
    June 16, 2009 at 7:55 pm (5 years ago)

The minute you said the show was on Bravo I became sick. I am still trying to get over “The Real Housewives” train wreck. Now this? Don’t you just love how Bravo and other television shows are trying to force us to accept their definition of upper crust society?

Failed. Try again.

14. Melina
    June 24, 2009 at 12:50 am (5 years ago)

I’m 16 and an NYCer. I saw the show and actually like it. But I think it is annoying because it’s tottaly fake. It’s true, no one talks about there money. It’s something you don’t need to brag about if you really have it. So the constant reminder of there financial status is a complete bore. It DOES have some real aspects like the whole importance of popularity and all that private schools and the City has, but no one really goes around braging about there staus, at least not the ones who know they’re set. THAT’S the real NYC